Noises, crackles, why?

Could you share a couple of clips before and after using the hum killer?

Of course, Using a ground loop killer is a pretty common thing, I donā€™t personally think itā€™s a flaw. In fact, for years I have bought this killer ground loop and I always carry it with me during concerts, it is in the guitar case because it can always be used.

1 Like

Absolutely. I had mine with me all the time, to the point that I stopped testing each venue and just plugged it in every concert.

It is not. A longer discussion is on this thread.

And, most importantly, ground loops are never a manufacturerā€™s fault. Even though it can be addressed by adding the very component of a ground loop killer (the audio isolation transformer), it comes at a hefty price.

Or else, it can be fixed at the power source level ā€“ that is, filtering the DC line. But it also comes at a premium, with fully isolated units easily costing 200 Euro or more for 6-9 outputs, and 300 for more than 10.

FWIW, here are some high quality units in the market, aside from what @LorisDonatelli already suggested above:

Lehle P-ISO and P-Split
Palmer PLI-01
Radial Engineering has several models, with the StageBug being the most guitarist-friendly. (And for those in need to converting balanced to unbalanced, the J-Iso model does that.)

and there are plenty from other top manufacturers. But bear in mind that cheap and good are enemies here.

(Disclaimer: I use Lehle.)

1 Like

Sorry about the necroposting :pray:

Are there any known plugins that cause the ticks and crackles?

After troubleshooting one of my pedalboards (gain levels everywhere and input level in the device) I found it was the governor overdrive causing it. CPU was not peaking at any time.

Is there anyway to avoid this if I want to use this plugin?

Also if itā€™s not too much work to explain Iā€™d like to understand why is it causing this crackles. :face_with_monocle:

Iā€™m using Duo X.
Thanks

Itā€™s possible that itā€™s just the kind of fry introduced by distortion. Try another distortion plugin with the same level of drive and check if you get the same noise. Recording the noise could also help.

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll try that!

Also have a look at the XRUN counter

2 Likes

Idk what this is but Iā€™ll look it up. Thanks for helping!

Ok the bottom of the web UI, close to the buffer size (128 or 256) you can find a number with the ā€œX RUNā€ label. the counter is increased every time the dwarf didnā€™t managed to perform the signal processing in time. This could lead to crackles

If the counter is increasing, or if the CPU usage, close to it, is high, click on the buffer size label which should change from 128 to 256. The CPU should then get lower and the xruns should stop increasing

1 Like

Hey thanks for the explanation! Iā€™m using Duo X and I didnā€™t see any CPU peaks but Iā€™ll definitely check that out.