Release 1.3.0-RC1 (Release Candidate 1)

Hi there everyone, another major release is here - v1.3.0-RC1 aka “oh $#@%, it’s already 3am!”.

This is a new feature release, with focus on pedalboard presets and not-so-simple bug fixes.

As usual, note that this is a release candidate.
That means it might be stable, but needs more testing first to make sure.
This release will have a testing period of 2 weeks.
If no issues are found in 2 weeks we’ll release it as stable, otherwise we’ll do a Release Candidate 2.

So, what’s new?

1. Pedalboard Presets
    The heavily awaited pedalboard presets are here!
    Just like plugin presets, these store the values of all parameters.
    This means we can store the parameter values of all plugins and switch them all at once without having to load a new pedalboard. This preset list can be addressed to a MOD controller knob or footswitch.

There are a few things to consider:
  • Pedalboard presets are part of the saved pedalboard state, you need to save the current pedalboard if you wish to retain the presets you made
  • Audio, MIDI and CV connections are not part of the preset data
  • If you add plugins after activating pedalboard presets, the existing presets will use the default parameter values for the new plugins
  1. Click-less bypass (for specific plugins)
    For plugins that support the new lv2:enabled designation, the MOD can now do click-less bypass for them.
    There are not many plugins making use of this feature yet, because it’s quite new in the LV2 world.
    But that’s how things start - need to implement the feature first so that plugins can start using it.
    Note: For now only “Parametric EQ” by x42 includes this feature.

2. ’MIDI Utility’ Category
    We added a new category to the pedalboard builder and cloud store screens - MIDI Utility.
    The Utility category quickly got filled with MIDI utility plugins… :slight_smile:
    This should make things easier and faster to find now.

3. Generic USB joysticks as MIDI devices
    Last but not least, you can now use generic joysticks as if they were a MIDI device.
    Previously we could already use PS3 and PS4 joysticks over USB, now thanks to @Azza (and some little extra integration…) we can now use any joystick recognized by the MOD as a MIDI device. :smiley:
    Buttons will send MIDI notes while Axis send MIDI CCs.

There’s also quite a few more changes and tweaks.
You can read the full changelog below.

Because this release is still under testing, it won’t appear as an update in the web interface just yet.
You’ll have to manually download and apply the update file if you wish to try it out.

Here’s the manual download link:
http://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduo-v1.3.0.302-RC1.tar

The upgrade procedure is explained at the top of our releases page, here:
http://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Releases

Note: if you wish to receive release candidates as auto-updates (which we internally call “group 2”), send me a PM with the last 4 numbers on the back of your Duo, near the bar-code.

Here’s the full changelog:

• NEW add ‘MIDI Utility’ category
  • NEW implemented pedalboard presets
  • NEW support for all generic USB joysticks as MIDI devices (buttons as notes, axis as CC)
  • NEW support for click-less bypass (needs support from plugin, using lv2:enabled port designation)
  • NEW support for lv2:freeWheeling port designation
  • NEW wait for the first pedalboard to finish loading before disabling true-bypass
  • fix 1 extra round-trip latency when using USB MIDI keyboards under certain conditions
  • fix bad pedalboard names when saved with html-encoded names
  • fix broken banks manager if clicked on too soon before it finished loading
  • fix category inline display on small browser windows
  • fix loading bank with manually deleted pedalboards
  • fix tooltips for MIDI hardware names containing spaces
  • fix thumbnail mis-alignment when plugin has no brand
  • fix updating a plugin if its bundle name doesn’t match the cloud one (eg, locally deployed plugins)
  • fix ‘update all’ button always disabled after being clicked once, even after updates finish
  • fix web interface being locked when rendering 2 screenshots at the same time
  • keep installing/updating plugins if one of them fails (eg, updating all plugins in store)
  • make ‘developer mode’ state persistent (plus add ‘disable_dev_mode’ function)
  • make folded/unfolded plugin area state persistent
  • make loading of pedalboards slightly faster
  • show more pedalboards at once, use thumbnail instead of screenshot (faster pedalboards screen)
  • show a warning popup if user presses ‘update all’ plugins, but there are no plugins to update
  • show a warning popup if user tries to change an addressed parameter

We hope you’re enjoying your MOD Duo.
Please let us know of any issues!

11 Likes

AWESOME !!!

I AM SUPER EXCITED NOW !

Thanks guys !

Hello again,

I have started testing the Joystick. That is great stuff. I can not use it to control my Wah pedal and that was my main goal.

It is nice to be able to send note events with the buttons, but I was also thinking that it would be great to be able to use the buttons as well to send CCs. Most joystick or gamepads have many buttons and they could be used a great deal in complement to the few footswitches.

I suppose it would be difficult to implement a way for a user to choose how to use the buttons (notes or CCs), but I could be quite easy to make a button send both events at the same time. Depending on how the joystick is being used, either one or the other would have effect of would be ignored.

Or maybe there is already a workaround that I haven’t thought of… Please let me know.

A simple trick would be to have a file on disk that, when present, changes the behaviour.
But it’s really not user friendly…

One more item to add to the settings list on a potential control-panel page…

And what about simply sending both CCs and notes at the same time ?

Alternatively, if you change it so that buttons send CCs only, the user can still use the “CC to notes” conversion plugin. While it is not possible to do the reverse for midi-learn in the current version.

And another idea could be to decide a “magic sequence” of button press/axis moves, that a user could use to trigger one mode or the other : like holding all buttons down for 5 seconds while moving an axis up and down three times, or something of the sort. All the code change for allowing that would be kept in nooice source. So that is quite a lightweight solution.

A “magic sequence” seems like a bad idea, you could trigger it by mistake…

Sending CCs and notes seems to be the best choice for now.
But the CCs need to start at a high level so they don’t use the initial important ones (modulation, panning, volume).
90-120 CC range seems ok to me.

:slight_smile:

@Azza Please try this build and let me know if it does the job for you: http://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduo-v1.3.0.302-RC1.tar
I updated the build for group-1 users too.

Super nice ! I’ll try that tonight.

Thank you so much !

Tested. It is now seeing the buttons events as well which is really cool.

Now, there is the following question : should a press on the button switch on the pedal control, or toggle its state ?

In Guitarix, there is the option to choose between the two behaviours for a given control. In this version, the button press correspond to the Control on. Releasing it return the control to “zero” state.

That is ok for the “reset”, “undo”, or “redo” controls of the Superlooper, for instance, but not for “play/pause” or “record”

Thanks for your efforts !

Alex

Well, that gets more tricky.
Let’s handle that case once we get a settings panel or similar.

That is fine. My project is to build a diy pedalborad controller using the electronics of a cheap :video_game:. I can used both types of interruptors in an OR combination for each button. So I can live with it as it is.

The issue is more for those who want to keep using a joystick as is. For a joystick, the toggle function is more useful than a simple ‘click’ behaviour in my opinion.

What is the reasoning that you can’t change the pedalboard presets with a Midi device ?

I am using a Midi foot controller for the Mod Duo (and bought it just for the Mod Duo). I think it would be great if you could use the Midi learn function to change to a specific preset.

I couldn’t test the functionality but it sounds like a great feature !

It’s about changing list-based parameters with midi cc.
Mainly, should we map the list 1:1 values to 127 midi steps, or interpolate them so that, for example 4 item list, 1-33 is item 1, 34-66 is tem 2, 66-99 item and 100-127 item 4?
I’m more inclined for the first option.

I’ll say, I’m much more inclined for the latter. If I tried to change my foot controller single values (especially on stage) I’d go nuts. Much better if you can use the full range of motion divided up by the number of steps. For a knob its not such a big deal but I doubt anybody here is using knobs on their midi controllers (guitarists, you know?). :slight_smile:

This is a feature I’d also love to see implemented. My preference would be a 1 to 1 mapping but I can make either way work for what I want to do.

I still haven’t tested the funcionality, so it is a little bit abstract.

The best solution I could think of would be if I could use Midi to load a specific pedalboard preset.

Push one button on the midi controller -> change to this preset. Push another button on the controller -> change to another preset.

This would be the most robust way for me to change between different presets.
But maybe this wouldn’t work with the way it is implemented.

ahh! Can’t wait to get stuck into Pedalboard presets. That’s got so much potential! :slight_smile: