Sharing pedalboard

Hi,

Playing with a friend who also has a Mod Duo, I was thinking on how to share pedalboard with him. The only way I can think of is to publish it, and it works great.
However, I see the following downside:

• it’s not always great to publish a work in progress, like from one week to another I will make some small change, and I cannot delete an already published pedalboard, so I feel a bit like spamming the community
  • maybe it’s just a trial pedalboard, and I wish I could share it with that person only for the time being
    So maybe I’m asking: is there a way to share pedalboard privately ? and is there a way to version pedalboard being published ?

How you guys are sharing (not necessarily publishing) ?
thanks

1 Like

You should be able to ssh into the source unit in order to copy/archive the pedalboard definition and unarchive it on the target Mod.

Hi @leDamien

Actually, there is a trick you can do to make the pedalboard not published to the pedalboard feed. If you put #hidden in the field that reads “what’s special about this pedalboard?” it will not show up in the feed.

Important to remember in this case: don’t forget to copy the URL that shows in the share confirmation popup before closing it. If you lose this URL you will not be able to find the pedalboard anymore.

//Jesse

6 Likes

And then you learn that nothing can be built just to be used internally. Eventually it all goes back to the public… :smiley:

On the device the pedalboards are stored in a (hidden) .pedalboards directory. The files in there are the pedalboard definitions and you can transfer files back and forth via ssh / scp like @Azza pointed out.

I run this occasionally in a terminal / shell window to grab a copy of the whole directory for backup:

scp -r root@modduo.local:.pedalboards pedalboards which will copy entire directory to my computer. (You might need to swap in the Duo IP address if the host name isn’t configured)

and is there a way to version pedalboard being published ?

I’m not aware of anything built in for versioning. You could append version strings to the name of the boards (meaning a separate pedalboard for each version). Alternatively you could use a version control system like Git on your computer to track changes over time. Whenever you make a backup you could then add one or more commits to your repository with the diffs and you’d have your history and ability to roll back to any point in time.

A while back I proposed that it should be possible to setup third party sites for sharing pedalboards (there’s no technical limitiations). At least one user responded to tell me what a terrible idea it would be to allow users to pass pedalboards around without the principled guiding hand of the MOD team overseeing our every whim. YMMV :slight_smile:

I like the idea of having version sharing or storage. It would be great if the Duo could be supported on https://patchstorage.com/ since they are already building these versioning and sharing tools

3 Likes

Really interesting
One thing that I did not get was that I was losing User preset when sharing a pedalboard… so looking at the files in .pedalboard, the presets are just mentioned there, but seem to be actually stored in the .lv2 directory.
So I finally understood the presets belongs to the pedal :smiley: If I use the same pedal in another pedalboard, the presets will be there. It might also explain why deleting one can create a mess.
I’ll back up that directory too I guess.

2 Likes