[solved] High noise level at all times

Hey NYC,

So after all of my troubleshooting, spending, and aggravation; I found out what was up.

I have a damaged PSU on my mixer.

I just did a few tests, only to find out that the dwarf wasn’t the culprit.

I returned most of the gear I purchased to rectify the issue on my end.

I’m virtually noise free in my use case.

I will pick up an amp from my FIL to see if I can replicate your issue and begin the troubleshooting the best I can.

3 Likes

Amazing @Elk_wrath , congrats! And good on you for returning all that stuff.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the amp, and thanks again for keeping me in the loop.

2 Likes

Since you asked for details on the setup that is working in the recording scenario for me, here you go, hoping this helps you and others:

• Gutar or bass into input 1 of the Dwarf
  • Zero input gain on inputs 1 and 2
  • 70% output gain on outputs 1 and 2
  • Outputs 1 and 2 into an Audient Evo 4
  • Evo 4 USB-C into iDefender+, which itself is powered with a separate USB 5V cable
  • iDefender+ into USB hub
  • USB hub into Mac mini M1
  • All devices plugged into Trond power strip, grounded

The iDefender+ definitely killed most of the noise, although there’s still some bleeding through. Will report back on the new power supply recommended by @Elk_wrath

2 Likes

Thank you so much :slight_smile:
Do you have any other setup where it is not working? I would say even if you keep the exact same settings on the Dwarf (Input and Output gain) you get more noise?

The recent gig I brought the Dwarf to had the following:

• Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 amp head
  • 2x Aguilar DB410 cabinets (8Ω each, total 4Ω load)

I also tried it on the following setup in a rehearsal studio:

• Aguilar DB 750 head
  • Bergantino 4x10 HD cabinet

In both instances I plugged the Dwarf output 1 directly into the amp head. First, there was an annoying static noise, but then it was accompanied by a higher-pitched noise the likes of which neither I nor the sound techs could quickly identify. The second noise might be what others have described here as a “digital” noise. The overall noise level was severely worsened when I switched from passive to active pickups on my bass. In both the first and second trials I had no time to do diagnostics, I just needed to start playing. So – the Dwarf came out and the bass went direct.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

A lot :wink: Thank you

1 Like

And just for the sake of collective information sharing - I bought a 12v 2A power supply- linked below - and it both works great and gets rid of the noise/hum/whine - it’s solidly built too so a good alternative should you need one

5 Likes

I’m so psyched… quick update. Replace the stock Dwarf power supply with the one @Elk_wrath recommended, removed the iDefender+ and its separate power source and the noise is GONE in my recording setup!!! Yup, gone. Now I have a more streamlined solution for recording.

Next is to test the new power supply + Dwarf + my active bass with a real amp, which I’ll try to do this weekend at my local GC.

@Elk_wrath , a huge thanks to you.

7 Likes

@SillySovietNYC

My man!

Heck yeah!

I’m super stoked that worked for you, and that your issue is partially resolved.

Let’s hope it works like a champ in your amp set up!

Throw some love to @ianr as he recommended the PSU type, I just found a US based plug instead of the European style!

Can’t wait to hear some of your jams!

4 Likes

Much appreciation to @ianr then. Thank you both!!! Such a great, simple solve!

2 Likes

Oops - I meant to reply to this one earlier.

Double Insulation only applies to mains-powered devices. The Dwarf doesn’t have mains voltages in it - it just gets 12v from the power supply so it’s safe in that respect.

Glad things are working well for you SillySovietNYC!

5 Likes

Went to my local GC, plugged into an Ampeg SVT head with a 4x12 cab and – no noise!!!

Will report back on any other amp / live settings I’m in, but for the moment, I’m so psyched to Dwarf the future LOL

7 Likes

Yeeeeaaaahhhh Buddy!

Super glad you are up and running, and most importantly, happy with the solution.

Rock on!

4 Likes

Was that with the stock power supply?

1 Like

I owe you @Elk_wrath !! If you’re ever in NYC, LMK. First drink’s on me.

1 Like

Heck no. I threw that thing away. That was with the $12 power supply mentioned earlier, the one @Elk_wrath posted. Works like a charm

2 Likes

Had the same Noise-Problem with my DuoX. Got myself a “Dehner Tischnetzteil ATS 036T-A120 12V/3” @ CONRAD Electronics Germany, 19€ (living in Dresden) and that made any noise disappear!!!
New and wunderfull world of pur sound;) :):slight_smile:
Using the DuoX in my elctronic setup, with non-symmetric Cables and without a DI-Box.

6 Likes

so, basically the solution is to change the Power Supply to a 12V 3A one instead of the 12V 2A one that comes with the Dwarf?

Not necessarily.

I snagged 3 amp because there weren’t any 2 amp models at the time.

The biggest thing to look for is a double insulated non grounded plug.

3 Likes

I swapped mine out for a 2.5A 12V, got my wife who used to be an electrician to shorten up the lead so it is a straight run to the dwarf, fixed the problem in an instant.

4 Likes