[solved] High noise level at all times

The Duo topic that this originally refers to, almost 3 years ago, is solved.
It first involved some hardware changes, and then the use of a custom software tool to keep CPU busy and thus reduce digital noise.

I think next time we should just close such long-running threads.

4 Likes

…so which thread to choose now? this one has the most views and is the one i found at first that referred to my problem as well… there is another one on i think the same issue. the mods might just want to merge these or something? nevertheless i’ll write here:

this is my 1st message on the forum as i just got my dwarf today! and i soon found out i have the same issue. So your usual guitar and bass guy here, haha. First i used a normal guitar cable from the dwarf to my Laney FRFR box - kind of digital sounding hum all the way. Awful. Next i tried my audio interface next - same there, but not that loud. Headphones totally quite btw.

Interesting find, may for troubleshooting? As i regulated the brightness of the display the noise changed along - it’s lowest either on 0 or 100%. Contrast didn’t change much though.

After checking the forums i first tried the ground lift switch on the FRFR - didn’t change anything. Then i tried a 1/4 stereo trs-cable i had lying around and there you go: noises were gone. well: almost, not completely like on the headphones, but it’s OK for me. still a bummer i think. and btw: while changing places while connected i noticed that just a slight movement on the dc plug added some extra noise, so the “road-worthiness” of the dwarf at least of the 12v power connection should be handled rather carefully i suppose and i hope it’s really properly soldered to the board as the power chord on such a device may be plugged in and out more than once regularly…

so my solution for now is to use stereo cables - but as i wanted to integrate the dwarf in my analogue setup (i.e. a marshall amp) as well, this doesn’t fully solve the problem. i think i and many others would be really happy if this noise issue could get fixed by an upgrade or something and without having to add any hardware - but that may stay a wish… if it turns out to be that way i think it’s a design flaw many people on the guitar side of things won’t accept… thanks for reading!

2 Likes

You can create a new one (I updated your trust levels so you must be able to do it now)

This is not expected and maybe something is wrong with the plug. If the problem persists, please write to support@moddevices.com

Maybe it’s worth trying the image of the upcoming firmware release to check if that helps in this particular issue. If you are comfortable with that, @falkTX or myself can DM it to you

Thanks for your inputs :slight_smile:

thanks for the reply. i’ll keep an eye on the plug, if i think there’s something wrong with it, i’ll mail support.

i can try the firmware, yes. but didn’t someone already state that it did not resolve the problem?
Anyway. if you send it, i’ll try. Thanks!

1 Like

Great.
There are reports of people that it fixed their issues and some other that didn’t. I believe that more testing would be super appreciated.

1 Like

In my case I still have an unacceptable amount of background hum. I tried noise isolator (radial stagebug sb6), I tried stereo cables. The background hum changes a little bit up a little bit down, but it is still far from acceptable. This is the same experience I had with the Mod Duo (I purchased the Mod Dwarf in the hopes that this noise issue would be somehow resolved). This is extremely disappointing. I emailed support over a week ago and have not yet received a response. Unfortunately with this level of noise this device is use not useful for anything other than a little bit of experimentation. I think this is a design flaw with these units. Does anyone know if this is the same issue with Mod X? I love the idea of these devices, it’s fantastic, but the level of background hum is making them basically useless to me.

Could you share a little clip showing the problem?

Ok, let’s give this a shot. The linked clip is recorded by alternatively engaging the Mod Dwarf into the signal path. Mod Dwarf is plugged into the effect loop of the Kemper stage profiler. The only effect in this recording is the default gain set to 12 o’clock position. The clip is : Off, On, Off, On etc. You can clearly hear the noise level. At the end I let the guitar trail off with only the mod dwarf engaged. Input gain is set to 5% - I tried 10 and all the way up to 100 - this ultimately makes not a lot of difference. moddwarfnoise.mp3 - Google Drive

FWIW, listening (on phone speaker) your noise sounds fairly different than the noise that I had which was helped by the 1.11 pre-release I was given to test.

Just to be clear as to what you are doing - you are bypassing the FX loop on the amp right? Have you tried a balanced cable from the Dwarf back to the amp? I would be somewhat surprised if that fixed it but it’s easy to test if you have one laying around.

1 Like

Thanks! Does this happen even with no effect loop involved? I mean, have you tried the Dwarf standalone?

1 Like

@jeffutter I am using the Dwarf in the effect loop of my Kemper stage - I don’t use amps in my studio. The kemper is going into powered speakers.
@redcloud I will try it without the Kemper and go direct later today. I think I tried that, but will try again.

1 Like

We have been too busy making sure that all of those that asked the Dwarf earlier receive it and this didn’t leave me much time to go over new support requests. I expect to catch up on that during this week.
Your problem seems to be somehow also related to your setup and/or power installation since we don’t have this issue happening with all the devices (either Duo or Dwarf).
Have you tried to use balanced cables? And/or a DI?

Hello all. After some messing around I see that if I use TRS cable and go directly into my audio interface the noise disappears. I was hoping to use it with my Kemper, but oh well, at least I can get it to work without the noise.

2 Likes

@igor which model Kemper do you have? Many have a balanced alternative input.

@danmh I have the floor (stage model) unit which has two effects loops. Both have balanced returns which is what I am trying to use.

Maybe you can experiment a bit on the power connections, etc. and you will find a working solution for that setup.
If you have both the Dwarf and the Kemper connected to the same power strip try a different one. If you have connected to different ones try to use the same. Try to avoid longer power loops.
Overall I suggest you to experiment around. You will probably find a working solution.
Try also with the new OS as soon as it released and experiment with the noise gate that will be available as a system plugin.
Let us know if you get something out or you need more tips.

I have the same issue. I emailed the MOD folks last night, and apparently some folks are having a ‘ground loop’ issue that they are working on a software fix for. I used an adapter plug that bypasses the ground as a temporary solution and it’s solved basically all of the noise floor issues. I’ve got a video over on Faceballs on my artist page (Ben Titus Music) showing the issue and the effect the ground delete adaptor has on it, if you’re interested.

Can you share the link with us?
Right now the solution is being focused on the MOD Dwarf, but sooner or later will make it to the MDX firmware as well (eventually also the MDS).

hmm Duo and Duo X already have the full thing enabled, in terms of software there is nothing more extra to put on those.

I would love to share a link, but this forum won’t actually let me post a message with a link in it. Maybe there something I’m missing?