Step Sequencer

I would like to create a step sequencer which would be able to control parameters of any effect. I know I need Midi sequencer plus Midi to CV plus lets say band pass filter. Somehow I can not setup correctly MIDI Seq plus MIdi to CV to make it work. Any help appreciate.

2 Likes

With v1.11 you can use the midi loopback feature for this.

If you have a setup like | step sequencer → note 2 cc → virtual midi loopback out |
You should be able to assign parameters to MIDI learn

I have done this before as a test for the midi loopback feature.

1 Like

OK, but isn’t it easier to convert Midi notes from MIDI seq to CV? I use CV LFO to modulate parameters of different effects and it is really easy to do so I thought I will use similar method using midi seq and midi to CV.

Yes it is, but you will need at the minimum 1 midi2cv plugin per 3 CV/automation sources.
Depending on how many addressings/mappings you plan to do, it can quickly get out of hand.

I will try to use midi loopback, thanks for the advise!

You can try something like this too:

Alternatively, you could use velocity as the parameter that sets the modulation depth, instead of the pitch. In order to do that, open the plugin settings of the sequencer, and turn the knob for each step to the desired modulation level, and connect the velocity output (instead of the pitch output) of the MIDI-to-CV plugin to the slew rate limiter.

That could also allow you to get creative with note range splits, and have 1 automation lane per MIDI note in the sequencer. Let me know if you want a more practical example of that, will take me a bit longer to whip up.

//Jesse

3 Likes

WOW, Jesse, really appreciate your help! I wil try this for sure.

1 Like

Can anybody help me understand sequencer plugin? I used to use Korg SQ1, and it is quite clear for me - 16 knobs which let me set pitch or value, but midi one is black magic… lots of knobs, I am really confused with that.
I found easier beta plugin divida (or something like that - orange one) which lets to set number of steps and every step has its value knob, but how can I make it work with anything? No play button… should I use any CV plugin? I would lile to use it to control parameter values of other effects.

Did you manage to understand it?
There is not really much on our Step Sequencers. You pretty much select how many steps you want to be played and when on the time slots and on the right note. Then you select the bpm.

1 Like

It seems I started to understand it, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes