Usability of "Update All" while a pedalboard is loaded

Description

If you do an “Update All” while a pedalboard is loaded, it will fail to update any pedals in the current pedalboard. While this is understandable, I think there are a couple of usability issues:

1. The error message is displayed very briefly and easy to miss, resulting in the user (me) being confused as to why some pedals still show “New Version”.
  2. I think it should unload the pedalboard while the update process runs. There should be a confirmation dialog before proceeding in this situation, but I think that’s a reasonable step since users are unlikely to be running updates during a performance situation. This would be similar to the “This action will stop audio” alert that Ableton Live displays when performing certain functions.

How to reproduce

1. Make a pedalboard with some pedals that require updates, and keep it loaded.
  2. Switch to the store and click “Update All”

Expected/suggested solution

Expected: prompt, then unload the current pedalboard so the pedals can be updated.

Additional information

Open the controller menu (hold left knob down), navigate to Info > Versions and write down here the versions.

• release: 1.0
  • controller: 582516e

Also provide some information about your system if possible.

• Operating system: Mac
  • System version: 10.11.5, Safari 9.1.2

Would you be willing or able to help resolve this issue?

(√ ) Yes
( ) No

that is a good suggestion, thanks.

also, maybe the entire interface should be blocked while updating.
as one could start the update and then still load the plugin before it finishes…

maybe the entire interface should be blocked while updating.

well, it would be nicer if only the plugins that are updating are blocked, but thats more work. One fairly large plugin may take a bit of time (further down the road especially as more capable MODs are produced allowing large synths etc.) and it would be nice to be able to use other plugins that aren’t updating so you have something to do while you wait. Just a thought.

Thing is, the webserver is not multi-threaded.
When you’re installing a plugin, the installation will block all other webserver calls.
(the download is fine though)

This means while a plugin is installing, moving a knob or a plugin will take quite some time to process - it will have to finish installing the plugin first.

If Update All failed because of a loaded plugin, the Update All Button doesn’t work afterwards even if the plugin isn’t loaded anymore. If the blocking while updating isn’t done for the next release maybe that one could be fixed.

It’s a bit late for 1.0.x for this, but it’s definitely something for 1.1 series.