Use a MOD device straight into power section of amp

Are there any people who use the Dwarf (or Duo) straight into the power section of the amp, via the fx loop?

I have a Fender Blues Deluxe which I want to use at home with my Dwarf as effects, preamp and time effects. Then I want to send it to my blues deluxe for aplification.

Any people have a good recommendations to do (or not do) this?
Gain levels? points of attention concerning risks, noise and pops? other things?

2 Likes

You just have to be sure that the amp model you’re using in the dwarf does not have a built-in cab sim. I can’t remember which one it is but there is one that has cab sims built into the plugin. Conversely, I think you limit the sonic flexibility of any modeling device when you plug it into an amp. Even when you’re only using the power section. That’s just me.
Also, you’re depriving the preamp and power amp the interaction they normally have when nothing is plugged into the effects loop. I don’t know why but to me, with tube amps it feels different when you plug something in the effects loop.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried this setup yet, but it is on my list of things to do.

My plan is to stick a limiter plugin at the end of the chain right before the outputs, and start with the output gain set at 0 and work up until it is at an appropriate level. Those two things should mitigate any potential noise/pops.

I agree. The amps and guitar cabinet speakers both limit the frequency response significantly, intentionally tailoring it for the range of electric guitars. This is why acoustic amps and PA’s are used for other instruments instead.

Because of that, I generally prefer reverbs to be after guitar cab.

2 Likes