Using condeser mic with dwarf

I’m having lots of fun with dwarf on my pedal board with my guitar.

Has anyome had experience of getting xlr condenser mic into input channel 2? I prefer condeser mic rather than dynamic as there is more function to them imo.

I need to get phantom power to my mic and I need XLR-1/4".

Can anyone recommend a DI like pedal or talk about their experience using mic with drawrf? The routing options would make it stellar imo. I appreciate the Drawf developers have to draw the line somewhere with function hence can understand non provision of XLR.

Best

Nel

2 Likes

If the microphone requires phantom power you will need a box to provide that. But the rest of the connections should be pretty straightforward.

2 Likes

I generally use a 2x2 audio interface with phantom power for my condenser, and then run the output into a different device like my strega or MOD unit.

Definitely need something between the condenser and the dwarf for the power.

I actually have a cover of a song I want to do that is all vocal, so I’m gonna be working on that set up this week.

2 Likes

I have 2x2 interface but would like to not have to use that as I have drarf on pedal board. I’m looking for a phatom power pedal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a rolls phantom power unit. Small, but it requires 12V DC. If your pedalboard power supply can provide 12V, you’re golden.

3 Likes

Do you just then convert xlr to 1/4” on way to mod?

3 Likes

I believe so. I don’t use a condenser mic with my Dwarf, so I haven’t done this myself, but I have used the XLR to 1/4 TS adapter for routing from my amp’s DI output to the Dwarf input.

2 Likes

My bad! I’m a desktop synth dude, glad @malfunction54 was able to get you a proper solution!

2 Likes

That Rolls unit would be a great solution.

Depending on what you’re after, you might look into a mic preamp like the ART Tube MP. Would be more expensive, but I personally like the character a good analog preamp adds.

Never used one specifically with my Dwarf, but I like them in other situations.

3 Likes

ART MP looks good - tube preamp :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve used one of these with the Duo: Voco-Loco - Radial Engineering
Works great.

4 Likes

ooh! That looks nice! I’m guessing you could use the “send” connection as a kind of adapter to go to a MOD device.

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve also used an XLR to TS/TRS cable from the Line out and this works as well.

Radial stuff is really nice! They use quality electronics, their stuff is well built and well conceived IMO. As far as an analog frontend, that’s gig-able and doesn’t cost megabucks, for the MOD pedals and alike, I think they shine.

3 Likes

I’ve ordered Art mp - seems to do what I need but I agree the radial kit looks good. I need to tame my gas :metal:

2 Likes