Devcurmudgeon - ALO - (multi-looper with BPM sync)

That would be marvellous!
Having a 6 track lopper in the same box!

Sopper looper is maybe a better one for you, although it lacks some features that ALO has.

@jon
Hi! I already use it twice in my “all in one” pedalboard.
It’s perfect except it has only one track.
I’m looking for a multitrack looper that can record without tempo syncing, like a conventional looper.
The ALO looper would be perfect that that if it could have a free tempo option.

1 Like

It makes total sense.
Let’s wait for what @devcurmudgeon comes up :wink:
In the meantime, I will save your “request” for discussion

2 Likes

OK i’ve added a couple of things:

• Dry/wet mix mode setting, set to 100/100 by default
  • Free running mode so ALO should now work without BPM running

@Julien are you able to test this out from the upstream repo? I’ve got a couple more ideas to try before i offer it up for the beta store…

@S_Righteous regarding the clearing loops - I’m wondering about adding an additional “reset” parameter to clear all loops, while leaving the current double-click as-as. Would that work for you?

6 Likes

WoW! you are fast with the edits! that’s awesome.
I really appreciate your hard work and updates.

I’ve been using the square buttons on the Duo X to engage a single loop, and using multiple instances of ALO. I am getting used to the double tap option you set up, I just wish the Duo had some indicator on the screen to know the state of a loop, in case clearing it didn’t work. I assume the hardware doesn’t have that kind of element for plug-in developers - that would be next level!

Yes - a clear all would be helpful to ensure the loop is clear before engaging it again and accidentally hearing old stuff. I would probably set that up to trigger via midi as I’m running out of buttons on the Duo X.

I am currently working on a set up with 7 instances of ALO, for 7 loops. Do you think individual outputs for each loop is on the horizon? I run each loop into its own effects chain, I assume 2 instances with 12 loops would be less CPU than 7 individual instances - possibly not?

I’m going to look into the visual indication topic - it would definitely improve usability.
Not sure that separate ins/outs for each loop would make sense. Maybe I should make a 1-loop version of ALO, and then 7 instances would take up much less real-estate :slight_smile:

Great news, this is a planned feature for v1.11
Allowing plugins to take control of device text and leds (for addressed controls). This is exactly the usecase we are targetting.

9 Likes

@falkTX - that’s amazing news. I love that this product is growing. My pedalboards are becoming quite complex as it is - anything that makes usability easier is a welcome addition.

Honestly, on the Mod Duo X, the two top indicators currently have the most real estate, if those were cut in half you could fit status indicators in there.

2 Likes

Wow! You’re fast!
For the moment I don’t know how to install a plugin using this way.
So I’ll waiit fot the Beta release.
I don’t think I’'l have time to learn how to install from the upstream repo, I’m very busy this week.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I am having trouble now with the Midi sync of the ALO, and I’m not sure if it’s the plug-in, or some inconsistency with the DUO X setup.

On the weekend, I had the Duo set to external sync, and was sending it midi clock and transport from an Octatrack. I put a simple hi-hat pattern on the Octatrack, and recorded a kick and snare into the ALO looper to see if it all stayed in sync. I would then record the results into Logic for 6 minutes and see if things drifted - and they didn’t. I tried this a few times with great success.

Tonight, with the same set up, I could not get ALO to sync for more than two cycles of the loop. I know it was getting midi clock, and when I would stop the Octatrack, the loop would stop playing, so the midi set up of the Duo was fine - but I now can’t get reliable sync.

What could I be missing? Nothing in my set up appears to have changed. Was I just extraordinarily lucky when I was testing on the weekend?

@S_Righteous were you maybe using Ableton Link last time? Or using the Duo as master?

I don’t have Ableton link, so can’t use that, and I don’t think I would have used the Duo as master, but I will certainly try that, as it might be a solution.

S.

So yeah, I tried using the Duo as the midi master, which feels weird because my songs will start by me hitting play on the Octatrack, but yup it all stays in rock solid sync. I’m very happy this works, and was able to improvise a great track already. The ALO looper with effects makes the Duo a fully packed box for live improv! I am using 7 instances of ALO, so a single track version would be great, or if the loops had separate outputs that would also be great. But so far my CPU use hasn’t gone over 75% or anything.

3 Likes

@S_Righteous excellent - I’m glad that you’ve got it working!

2 Likes

@Julien I believe the update is now in the beta plugin store…

1 Like

Awesome!
I was just looking at this thread and you did it!
I’ll test that in the afternoon. I have too much work for the moment.
I realize now the power of Mod Device, it’s community and dev like you!
I can’t wait.
Thanks a lot.

3 Likes

@S_Righteous would you mind sharing or showing a screenshot of your pedalboard? I’m trying to understand your use-case so I can figure out what to tweak…

1 Like

This is a work in progress, so there is a synth in the middle which goes nowhere, but will go to a looper with options to add more loops with controlled effects.

1 Like

Each instance of ALO is only using the first loop of the batch, but I need separate instances to have separate effects on those. The audio input has three loops currently with no ‘bounce down’ loop. The midi stuff like Vibes has a scale control for different songs, and it’s loops can be bounced down to other loops, and then I clear the initial loops and build up from there.

I think when the looper community see what ALO brings to the Mod Duo, there will be great interest. On the surface having only a stereo pair out from the devices seems like a limit, but if you can do a lot of effect processing in the box, you don’t need extra outputs - just lots of signal paths within the device.

3 Likes