Infamous STUCK - separate drone output? (and stacked drones...)

@ssj71 wondering if you’ve ever thought about making it possible, somehow, to access the STUCK drone as a separate signal from the pass-through? i’ve often wanted to process the drone and the pass-through in different ways.

i suppose any one of these would do that:

1. STUCK only outputs drone - you can just pass an original signal, separately, in parallel.

2. STUCK has separate outputs for pass-through and drone - you can just sum them if you want it to operate as it is now.

3. STUCK has a balance control between pass-through and drone.

…thoughts?

thanks for the plugin, @ssj71 - i use it all the time!

p.s. another crazy idea i had was to add a “cumulative” operating mode, which never turns off a drone, but just adds another one (based on whatever’s at the input at the time) every time the user toggles the “stick it!” switch. then, you could have another switch that turns the cumulative drone off. …could get seriously weird, and be a lot of fun… :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve never thought about it, but that should be fairly trivial. I’ll do the naughty thing and add a port. I’ll probably go with option 1, and add a switch to turn the dry signal on or off. Its the easiest by far. It will be a little while though before it lands in the MOD store though. I’m finding less and less time available to work on this stuff :frowning:

As for cumulative mode, you could always just stack several instances of stuck together. That mode would have to add a bit of complexity (and ram requirements) that I don’t think will be worth it when you can just put 6 of them on one pedal board and turn them on one at a time (perhaps a pedalboard preset could be used to do this with a single switch!).

cool… i’ll keep a lookout for it! :slight_smile:

…i thought maybe 1 instance with a cumulative mode might be less CPU-hungry than multiple instances…

as author of the plugin and algorithm, I can tell you it won’t make a significant difference :slight_smile: At least not on the plugin dsp side, and I don’t think the overhead of additional plugins is that significant either (how many gain pedals can you add before you notice a bump in CPU?).

actually, now that I’m looking at it, because the control you use to activate the drone is also the bypass, that means I have to pass the dry signal when the drone is off. So I’ve made it fade out the dry when you start the drone, will that work?

I realize that makes it a lot tougher to do a cumulative mode with several pedals since you’ll have all the dry signals summing when the pedals aren’t active. It may be do-able still.

I think I’ll have to do a new separate plugin for this after all. :
EDIT: I’m going to revert this last change. I don’t think its actually useful. With a new plugin I can do it properly and make it silent until you press the button, then it only plays the drone.

yeah, what you described wouldn’t be so useful.

so, there’s actually a change of “bypass state” when the drone is toggled? i.e. dry signal PLUS drone is “non-bypass”, and dry signal alone is “bypass”, and the apparently continuous dry signal is actually switched seamlessly?

the way you describe a new plugin sounds like the desired thing! :sunny:

Exactly: the dry signal is always passed through unchanged and the drone is added on top of it.

Got a suggestion on what I should name the new one to differentiate it? Stuck Silent? Stuck Killswitch? Stuck Never Dry?

Lonely Stuck
…but perhaps that’s too much clever wit! :wink:

how about “Stuck Stacker?”

Mother Stucker!

HA!

I’ll see myself out…

1 Like

:open_mouth:
:laughing:

…i like it!

alright, stuck stacker is now in github (devel branch). I still need to add some way to differentiate in the UI and then add it to mod and test. So still a little way to go.

2 Likes

…(why can’t i “like” things multiple times?!) :wink:

I think with some creativity and use of the Switchbox plugin you can achieve what you are looking for.

Well, I suppose its possible but any reason not to make it much easier? You’d have to time the switchbox to allow about 20 ms of audio through before cutting the dry signal for stuck to work properly. I guess it could be done with a bunch of pedalboard presets if you can cycle through them with a single switch (I haven’t played with them yet). Even then though you’ll probably have bumps in the dry signal level and you wouldn’t really be able to process the wet and dry differently.

1 Like

I think it would be a two step process.
A Switchbox would send one output to the Stuck (and whatever processing you want on that) and the other output to whatever other process you want to do to the dry signal.

You would start with the signal going to Stuck. Get your drone going.
Change the output of the Switchbox to the other signal chain.

It’s two steps but I think it will work.

It would be cool to have a drone level control like some loopers have. When I play with a looper I sometimes want the looper to play back at a slightly lower level so I can solo over it. I think direct signal can be a pass through.

if you want to stuck a note in the middle of passage this won’t work though because the dry will pass through the stuck and the processing meant for the drone will be heard until stuck is activated, then suddenly the processing would switch to the other. So under certain circumstances, yes that will work, but I don’t think it will work for @plutek.

Just for you I added that (2 years ago). :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting…
I now see how it would be best to have it in the plugin.

It’s been a while since I played with it so I don’t remember the wet only switch… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

stuck stacker is now in unstable! I needed to get to bed so I didn’t actually get a chance to test this one on the mod, so if you have any issue, please let me know asap. Thanks for being patient.

2 Likes