Mod won't boot after manual install

user ‘root’, pw ‘mod’.
note that you can only log in using pw in 1.1.

also btw…
plugins are in /root/.lv2 (not really important unless you deployed your own custom versions)
pedalboards are in /root/.pedalboards
the rest of the data is in /root/data (banks and last used pedalboard)

the user data is never modified during updates and reinstalls.

I tried four times tonight but it still just hangs on boot. Anything else I can try?

What version are you trying? Is it 1.1-RC3?
Are you turning off, then holding the knob and footswitch down before turning on the MOD again?

@falkTX can onepossible to clear all data? [quote=“falkTX, post:7, topic:712”]
the user data is never modified during updates and reinstalls.
[/quote]

How can one reset the /root/ folder (or all user-data) to be exactly like a new MOD shipped from the factory? ie a complete factory reset?

Sorry for hijacking this thread somewhat. While fixing things and keeping all data intact is definitely the better option, a “quick & reliable” way to reset the whole device would be cool.

In any case it’s easy to get the (updated) plugins again and pedalboards can be backed-up in the cloud simply by sharing them (no ssh backups are just icing on the cake)

Only via ssh (currently). check: https://github.com/moddevices/mod-factory-user-data

Yes I’m using 1.1-rc3. what I do is:

1 Unplug the mod
2 hold down the left knob and switch.
3 plug in the mid while holding down the knob and switch
4 wait 5 seconds before releasing the knob and switch
5 plug in the usb port to computer when asked and mod connects as a mass storage device
6 copy the release tar file to the mod
7 eject the mod (I’m using the file manager in ubuntu for copying and ejecting the device)
8 mod lights go red and update messages go by
9 mod lights go green and mod screens show the logo then lights go off
10 mod stays on the logo screen instead of getting to the knob #1 screen

The 1.0.6 release is making it to the knob #1 screen (normal boot) using the steps above.

There is no major difference between 1.1 and 1.0 that would make this fail for 1.1.
If you power off first, then hold down the buttons before turning on, the 1.1 will install correctly.

Well I’ll try again tonight but as you can see from my last post, I do hold the buttons down before turning on. So far since starting this topic, I’ve tried to install 1.1-rc3 six times and 1.1-rc2 once with no success but I have installed 1.0.6 twice with no problems booting up.

Finally had time today to try again but no luck. This time I downloaded the 1.1 final release and tried installing it four times with no success. Just to check my ability to perform the install, I installed 1.0.6 and it booted successfully.

So since the start of this thread I have tried to install the 1.1 series release (rc2, rc3, final) ten times with zero success and the 1.0.6 release three times with 100% success. All of the installs were done using the “hold down left knob and switch” while powering on method (see Mod won’t boot after manual install for details)

I appreciate that there’s nothing in the 1.1 series releases that should prevent boot up but I think you’ll agree the install stats I’ve had suggest that’s not the case. Any thoughts on a plan B would be greatly appreciated as I don’t think there is any use in my trying to install 1.1 any more.

Would it be possible to get a 1.0.6 custom build with ssh password auth enabled? I’m more that happy to do any debugging on my end.

I just went through the same thing. I installed 1.1.1 via the gui and it worked fine, then I powered down and loaded up for the gig. At the gig it never got past the logos screen. Got home, read this thread, and then installed 1.0.6. It’s rebooted and seems to be fine. I’m going to wait a while and check the forums and see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Sorry to hear you’re seeing the same thing I am. I haven’t had time to try 1.1.1 yet but given your experience I don’t think it will solve my problem.

If 1.0.6 is working for you then I guess you haven’t run into the read-only user partition problem. It might be that the 1.1 booting issue is actually separate from the read-only user partition problem.

Maybe there’s some issue with the last loaded pedalboard that triggers in 1.1 and that is not present on 1.0…

@Dave_Parker do you remember which pedalboard loaded up when you rolled back to 1.0.6?

I don’t. If I try the 1.1.1 update again I’ll note what it is.

Good news, I was able to reproduce a similar issue with 1.1.
Apparently the automatic recovery of data partition (being there just in case something goes wrong) is not working correctly.
I was able to manually fix a bad partition, but the automatic system failed.
Investigating…

@falkTX, thanks for the update. Glad to hear you might have a repro.

Hey guys.

Kinda have the same problem now. Recieved my MOD today, played around a bit.
After turning on again now it’s stuck on the loading screen (left: logo, right: “MOD DUO”). Only thing i did differently was connecting a second USB-Device (Footswitch) while connected to the computer via USB as well before turning off.

Sorry if my “bug report” doesn’t fit the requirements, just wondering if you can give me some quick pointers. Thanks!

Edit: After 1 day, still stuck on the loading screen. Pressing the left knob+button doesn’t do anything for me. Can’t figure out any way to reset my MOD. I was so eager to play with it… bummer. :frowning: i really hope anyone can help me.

we’re working on a solution for that.
in the mean time you can try to reinstall 1.1.1, follow the steps here http://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Troubleshooting (same as in “MOD boots into restore mode by default”)

sorry for the inconvenience.

Tried it several times now. Everything according to the guide.
But the mod stays on the startup screen.
Anything else i can do?

EDIT: I can see you’re working hard on the fixes now, but still - even if you have one i still have the problem of not being able to update my mod since it’s stuck on the loading screen and doesn’t respond to the “hold left knob and switch” option. The only way i see now is sending it back to you guys to fix it.
I don’t mind a couple more days but it’s kinda cruel now - i had it in my hands… :wink:

thanks for you hard work

p.s.: in case you were wondering if i’m full of s***, here’s a quick video of me trying to start the mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu8kszkr43gk68u/20161025_125638.mp4?dl=0

Are any of you unable to make the MOD boot into “restore mode”?
ie, when you hold the left knob and foot down while powering on the mod, does a text message appear on the screen? (after around 30 seconds)

@domlo thanks for the video, that confirms your mod cannot even enter recovery mode :frowning:

We have a special method for doing a full factory/reset of the MOD Duo, but it only works on Linux and Mac OS.
If you’re ok with this I can send you details over PM.
Otherwise we can arrange for your MOD to be sent back to us (in Germany).