Say hello to the MOD Dwarf

It is a big evolution from the Duo in many aspects and they boil down to “better, smaller and cheaper”.

We managed to make it more compact, powerful and cheaper.

In terms of usability the Dwarf is much smarter. We collected a lot of feedback from Duo users and designed a new controller that will enable a much usable, even from a total standalone conception.

3 Likes

Same amount of plug ins, ie: I can keep my presets, etc.?
Compatible to what I’ve put into the Mod Duo? I can keep my pedal board sets???

1 Like

Is there any more info on the Dwarf other than what’s in this thread and currently on the landing page?

I gather that it has an extra stomp, an extra knob, faster CPU, is smaller, has all the same inputs / outputs, so apparently the only “regression” from the Duo is that it has one screen instead of two. Is that right? I assume that there will be some software improvements so that the single screen doesn’t significantly reduce usability.

There is more info coming. As we have many open questions still, there is a lot to be decided and we will update you guys as we advance.

What I can assure beforehand is that the controlling will be much better and not only we’re adding more actuators, but we’re also thinking on ways to improve workflow and make easier the usage without a computer.

The new CPU is not only more powerful, but it also is better supported in Linux, making it easier to bring features like Audio-over-USB which is something lots of people have been requesting.

4 Likes

yes. pedalboards are interchangeable.

there is still some details to decide though in regards to parameter addressing.

that said, you’ll surely be able to use your original pedalboards, but in the worst case you’ll need to re-address the controls.

4 Likes

That’s so exciting!

:wink:

3 Likes

Yep, was already waiting for that.

Can’t post an image, why?

OK, earned a batch “rtfm”. There is no mentioning of not being allowed to post any images. What have I missed?

OK, sorry, found it. Trust level.

So, how about that:

5 Likes

That is a GREAT idea !!!

…to continue your comparison, the Dwarf loses DIN MIDI. i’ve got a DIY MIDI controller that i use a lot which has only DIN MIDI… oh well.

still, there are a lot of great things about the Dwarf, and i’d be happy to add it to my rig!

It does not @plutek

For sizing reasons, we swapped DIN to Mini-TRS jacks. If you go to the Dwarf’s landing page there is a nice render of the back panel showing the two mini jacks between the ControlChain and the Audio Input jacks.

MIDI has issued a standard wiring for this implementation and we’re sticking to it.

1 Like

About the Audio-over-USB, will it make possible to use the dwarf as a “VST” effect in a DAW ? (allowing u to record a raw instrument output and let u enable/disable/change the Mod Dwart effect on it).

1 Like

thanks a lot @gianfranco… great to know!
sorry i missed that!

1 Like

I use two Mod Duos on my solo bass guitar board; I’ve just for pitch shifting, and the other for all my other effects, like distortion, delay, reverb, way etc. I would love it if I could do all of that in one device and trigger multiple plugins with a single button press or midi signal.

1 Like

It’s super exciting and I really appreciate the upgrade offer!

I’ve dreamed of a rack-level MOD device that could input several instruments into a “pedalpool” where you could mix and re-route them all to your delight. In the meantime, this seems like an exciting path forward. I’d like be able to use Duo with 3 / 4 different instruments (and more…) without breaking the bank. Overall size and amount of gear is a consideration too. This seems like it might hit a sweet spot where I can run a few Dwarves in tandem.

While we’re dreaming, it could be interesting to have the ability to link multiple Dwarf devices together - as part of the control chain and sync clock data and other uses. It would be great to be able to share footswitches and expression pedals between multiple Dwarf devices. For example, two Dwarfs connected in serial with a footswitch and an expression pedal and the actuator can be mapped to either or both Dwarf devices.

1 Like

This looks great - I’m in!

I think that’s very cool to have a special rate for Duo owners - upgrading the CPU on a huge number of units would be impossible in practice and this is a different beast - so seeing as it’s still a way off I’d be down for suppporting the kickstarter for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can see the Kickstarter campaign is starting. So what is going to be the price for enthusiast ModDuo owners @gianfranco ?

Looks like a really sensible design. One less screen. One extra knob and foot switch. Four new buttons. Right mix of 1/8" and 1/4" jacks. Handy indicator lights like before.
I really like it!
Yet, I still really need a digital I/O. TosLink, SPDIF/AES, any of these would do it. Is there any chance this feature could be including? :pray:

2 Likes

I only just noticed this. That’s insanely good value! Especially when you consider that single pedals can cost more than this. Hopefully it will cause a watershed moment where normal guitarists and dealers finally wake up to this amazing company :slight_smile: I’d love to see MOD attract much wider attention so that they can afford to expand more quickly.

Don’t suppose we can get some kind of indication of how much different the CPU is likely to be when compared with the Duo? Not asking for any promises, just a rough idea :wink:

3 Likes