Wifi connectivity

@Muiren What about latency, is it noticeable?

I have quite some experience with Bluetooth MIDI (even on the development side) and actually also have a WIDI Jack.
I can tell you that nowadays the latency issues with Bluetooth MIDI is more of a myth than actually something disturbing. Some interfaces or usb controllers even have more latency than many cases of Bluetooth MIDI.

2 Likes

Hi,

I have a similar experience with a Logilink WL0237:

[ 3748.416337] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 3752.133593] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[ 3752.264803] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=c811, bcdDevice= 2.00
[ 3752.264830] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3752.264838] usb 1-1: Product: 802.11ac NIC
[ 3752.264844] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 3752.264851] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 123456

Searched a lot, did not find a firmware image for this device that I could put in place as the wifi wiki page suggests…

Is there in the meantime any recommendation for a Wifi Dongle that i could buy (like, it’s actually available in a real shop, in Germany, today - which is often not the case for recommendations in compatibility lists) and try that is promising?

Thomann sells the Critter and Guitari WIfi Dongle - Critter & Guitari USB WiFi Adapter – Musikhaus Thomann - would that be a viable solution?

If not Wifi, how about ethernet? I’d like to be a bit more flexible with accessing the web UI of the Dwarf by not having to plug a USB Cable into the right computer for the length of the cable and on because USB Ports are scarce on some of my computers. I might even want to use a tablet.

Why don’t use the Bluetooth connection? Wifi is still in experimental stage as you can see in the wiki

1 Like

Hey Jon,
Yes I see this, but I still want to try.
I experience strange effects on networking in Linux with the USB connection.
For a while I could access the Dwarf as well the Internet, like the forum and wiki here, but suddenly, connection to the outer network broken, so no Wiki, and also no Browsing in the plugin store anymore, on my laptop and the dwarf - forum question/bug report/support request will follow.
I assume this comes from adding special internal IP networks to a machine over unusual protocols.

Bluetooth, well… I haven’t actually looked into bluetooth. With many bluetooth devices I already use, I often have pairing issues, so I assume it generally as tricky.

I want easy jumping from one computer to another without having to deal with changing the current connection and I’d prefer it would not, just as the USB connection, play with my IP and routing etc configuration. Is the bluetooth way working with multiple devices, so I can easily switch e.g. from my tablet to my laptop to my desktop for accessing the dwarfs UI without having to do anything on the connection? Or will I have to do explicit switching each time?

All these things just not happen when I can use the “normal” LAN.

As I said, a recommendation for a working and currently available ethernet dongle would also help.

Also, I might look into the idea of connecting the USB to a router / raspberry pi, and proxy the web UI from there to my LAN.

Maybe this way of working is not what the device is conceived for. It seems to me the idea is more to prepare things on the web UI and then use it for the “real” playing in standalone mode. But my use case is more that of a an open source Groove Box(synths drums etc) than of an effect device. So I want to play with all possible sound properties while making music. And I think besides some limitations(UI is a bit tricky for realtime manipulation and is not ideal for Touchscreens, yet, Dwarfs CPU a bit too small, so I will upgrade to DuoX soon) it’s ideal for that :wink:

1 Like

Still working for me. No problem since I created this post. Never had any issues with this tiny router.

2 Likes

A fair excuse :slight_smile: Actually you may help us taking out that “experimental” label in the end :wink:

Have you tried this with only one device/OS?

I’m not sure if there are some sort of receivers that automatically pair with “normal” Bluetooth, so you just turn on both devices and they pair. This happens with some Bluetooth devices, even the most basic Bluetooth speakers that after the first pairing pair automatically. Not sure even if this requires anything on the MOD side or just some sort of host software or so. Really not sure, I’m just live brainstorming.

@falkTX, I actually never tested this myself in the end, do you have any documentation?

We do not have any such drivers enabled in the system

1 Like

yes.
It works with Windows and MacOS, I had this problem with my Ubuntu Linux system.
I can write a proper post with more details about this the next time I get to it…

And I can also try a different system with Linux to check if it happens to me on all Linux systems.

Might be my fault - I think I read the proposal somewhere to use an USB ethernet dongle instead of Wifi. I dont find the location where I read or misunderstood it right now.

Could this be a more stable / less problematic option than wifi?

On the other hand, I understand, one might not generally open that box of “interesting” security issues when starting to fully network-enable the device, it becomes some entirely different work with security updates, simple default passwords and such when one has to assume that the devices will be available to whole LAN’s and WIFI networks in random cafes and such.

Nobody wants their hacked effects pedal go crazy in the middle of a show…

1 Like

My experience, for example with bluetooth speakers, is, that many clients connect to them automatically, and then it gets complicated to decide who is really allowed to play sound on them.
I often need to explicitly disconnect multiple other devices to be able to listen to the sound from the one source I really want to listen.

My fear is that with Bluetooth networking it will be similar, which is exactly what I want to get rid of with the whole idea of Wifi. Otherwise it’s still clearer and easier to keep using the cable. (once I got rid of the network problems i described, but there must be some solution…)

1 Like

The same here. I hate when I need to change the source the amount of work that it’s required. But I guess it’s one handicap necessary for those systems.

I’m not a really experienced Linux guy (something that I want to get fixed!), but it really seems that the issue is with something on the OS - if it works on the other OSs. If it’s a matter of configuration or really a version issue, that I can’t really answer.

Having a slight oddity here. I’ve got a USB ethernet adapter connected. When I ssh in over USB and bring it up with ifconfig, it works great; nice and stable and fast. When I add it to /etc/network/interfaces, it doesn’t come up:

allow-hotplug usb0 eth0

iface usb0 inet static
  address 192.168.51.1
  netmask 255.255.255.0

iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.1.43
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.1.1

Unplugging the ethernet card and plugging it back in doesn’t seem to be triggering hotplug properly either. Setting it to auto doesn’t work either (as expected for a USB NIC), and in fact seems to stop the network from coming up at all, even on USB. It seems like there’s some slightly custom stuff happening in the way y’all are bringing up network services — any hints? Ideally, I’d really prefer this to use DHCP, too — much easier in my environment.

After some trial and error, and lots of research, I’ve managed to get wifi working.

It seems like WPA supplicant requires an adaptor with a chipset that supports cfg80211, which led me to buy a D Link DWA 131 with Realtek RTL8192EU chipset, and finally got it working after copying the required firmware as per the wiki instruction.

I used the list from https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers to find the supported the chipset, and search up the chipset http://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru to find list the adaptor and find 1 that’s available in my region.

Not 100% sure that my guess on cfg80211 support is correct, and maybe just so happened it’s a coincidence that this dongle works.
Maybe someone who is more experienced in linux system can help confirm?

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the suggestion @JamKid I bought the same adapter and after some time, to understand the configuration and to install the firmware, I was able to get UI wifi access to work as well!

5 Likes

As far as I know, D-Link (and some other companies) tend to use different hardware and chips for the different revisions of devices marketed under the same name. One device with the same model name might use Broadcom chip, and another will use Realtek, for example, and from the linux drivers perspective these are actually separate devices - one would work and another one will not.
This difference in behavior might be a problem for other users trying to repeat your success.

Therefore I can suppose that mentioning exact revision that worked for you might be helpful.

4 Likes

@falkTX
is there a way possible to add wireless hotpost to dwarf config with a working wireless dongle ?
e.g. something like hotsapd with dnsmasq ?

2 Likes

that sounds much more interesting than connecting device to the existing wifi network, as at home I use USB anyway.

2 Likes

You can try it, but my experience with running soft APs using those dongles is that performance is pretty low.

1 Like

I’ll try it as soon as i get my dwarf (tier 3)
Is the dwarf os equipped with a package manager ?
It,s arch i guess ?

1 Like